Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DIY: Transforming Garage Sale Vases!


This past weekend my neighborhood had their community garage sale. I don't think all neighborhoods are like this, usually you can have a garage sale whenever you want right? Well not mine.. only when the home owners association let's you! Which sucks because I love finding cheap things that I can turn into something beautiful. So this weekend I went on a vase frenzy :) Vases can be anything you want them to be, tall, short, fat, skinny. I got 5 very different vases and I am going to show you 4 different ways to transform those dirty garage sale vases into something you will love!

The first vase I got for FREE! Yup that's right. I bought a $2.00 ceramic pitcher and the lady ended up just giving me the vase for free. This happens often at garage sales because people just want to get rid of old stuff they don't want anymore.
For this vase I painted the INSIDE, not the outside. Doing this allows you to show off the glass work of the piece and gives the finished look a glossy finish without having to do any extra work. First wash it with soap and water and dry it to make sure all of the dirt is out. Then I used acrylic paint in a teal color, you can use any color you want :) 
You just pour this into the vase until it looks something like this 
And then just tilt the vase around until the whole surface is covered! Pour the excess paint back into the bottle, wipe the lip of the vase off, and allow it to dry for at least 48 hours (it takes longer because its drying on the inside instead of the outside.) Remember, you cant put water in this vase anymore so make sure you like the vase you pick with fake flowers! This is how mine turned out and I love it!


 The next vase I got isn't even a vase! It's an eggnog bottle! Sometimes you'll find strange things like this at garage sales that you can get for really cheap that you can turn into something really cool. I got this for 50 cents! 
To remove the logo all you have to do is soak the bottle in a sink full of warm soapy water for about 30 minutes, remove the label, and then remove the extra gunk with Goo Gone. Then I just washed and dried it to ensure it was clean. Then I got out the painter's tape!
This is just regular 1 inch painters tape. I just tore off about a foot long piece and carefully placed it around the bottom of my bottle. Make sure it's even. The easiest way to do this is to go slow and to make sure the end lines up with the start of the tape and is perfectly overlapping it. It should look something like this

 The I added another one.. You can do this in any pattern you want, only one stripe or make them vertical. It's up to you!

The I just put tape around the top so that all of the stripes would be even looking. I also covered the top just to make sure spray paint wouldn't go inside. 

Then just pick any spray paint and go to town! I chose gold :) 
 I did about 3 coats until I was satisfied and then flipped it on it's top and sprayed the bottom. I let this dry for about 30 minutes and this is what it looks like
Just take off the tape and viola! This is my favorite vase I made!



Next I just wanted simple white spray painted vases and I did this for 2 of my vases. The first vase I already happened to own so $0! And the next one I got for $1 :)

You'll notice one is smooth and one is textured. The solid white spray paint will give both a sleek look and bring out the glass detailing on the patterned one. First wash them to get all of the dirt off, and you'll notice the second one has purple at the top. Try to get anything like this off as much as possible. All I did was set up some extra cardboard pieces I had outside something like this 
And then get your spray paint and coat each piece until you're happy with the coverage. This is the paint I used

Let them dry for about 30 minutes and this is what mine looked like :) Again I love how they turned out!





And last but not least.. This vase is the most difficult out of all of these vases but I liked the way it turned out! I started out with a vase again that I already owned. 
Make sure you wash this one really good because we're going to be sticking GLITTER to it! If glitter isn't your thing I completely understand, maybe you can make it for a friend or family member :)
You'll need a bowl larger than your vase, a paintbrush, Mod Podge,  gold glitter (or whatever color you prefer), and Mod Podge's clear acrylic sealer.


Just paint the Mod Podge wherever you want your glitter something like this 
And then just tap your glitter on as evenly as possible over your bowl, tapping your vase to remove the excess every time you turn your vase. 
Mine originally turned out like this
But then I went back and added more until I liked it. Let it dry for about an hour or until the Mod Podge turns clear. Then lightly spray over the glitter with the Mod Podge acrylic spray. Try not to get it on the clear part of your vase but if you do it's okay! And here are the final results :)




I'm really happy how my vases turned out! These are all really cheap, pretty easy, and they don't take too long to create (and you can do a lot of multitasking while making these, perfect for a laundry Sunday). I finished my vases off with just simple white and pink fake flowers from Hobby Lobby. I hope y'all enjoyed my transformation of garage sale vases and I hope you try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment